Albertus Street building gutted

A building in Albertus Street was completely gutted by fire.

A three-storey building in Albertus Street, which housed a laminate flooring business, was completely gutted by a fire in the early hours of Wednesday morning, December 2.

The City’s fire and rescue spokesperson, Jermaine Carelse, said they received an emergency call at 1am of a building alight.

He said 70 firefighters managed to contain the fire just after 6am and prevent it from spreading to the adjacent art gallery.

The building has been deemed unsafe and a building inspector was requested to ascertain the structural integrity of the premises.

No one was injured in the blaze.