Man arrested for fatal stabbing at garage

A woman was arrested after being caught red-handed selling beer from her boot in Cantebury Street.
A man was arrested for allegedly stabbing someone to death at the Caltex garage opposite the Good Hope Centre on Sunday August 2. 

Cape Town Central police spokesperson Captain Ezra October said police responded to a complaint about an altercation at the garage, where they found a man dead with a stab wound to his chest. 

While at the crime scene, neighbouring Woodstock police called the investigating officers to inform them that a witness had taken the man accused of the stabbing to the police. 

He was arrested for murder at Woodstock SAPS and held in custody after video footage obtained at the garage indicated that he was involved in the stabbing. 

On the same day, law enforcement officials patrolling in Canterbury Street arrested a 62-year-old woman who was caught distributing self-brewed pineapple beer in two-litre bottles from a green Opel Corsa. 

The woman will be charged under the Disaster Management Act regulations, which prohibits the sale of alcohol. 

During the early hours of Sunday morning, two men were arrested in the CBD for possession of firearms in two separate incidents. 

Meanwhile, a known drug addict was arrested for possession of drugs when Cape Town Central police, together with other law enforcement agencies, conducted an operation at Stroompie informal settlement in District Six during the early hours of Wednesday August 5.

Police found mandrax tablets to the street value of R400 and a round of live ammunition, which was lying in the grass near the camp. 

In another incident, on Saturday August 1, officers arrested a 16-year old boy for possession of stolen property on the Grand Parade. Social workers on stand-by were called to assist, and the boy was placed in juvenile custody, said Captain October. 

In a separate incident, two suspects were arrested for being in possession of an illegal firearm and for pointing it at a City Central Improvement District (CCID) guard on Friday July 31. 

Captain October said a man was walking from Gardens when two men approached him and threatened to hit him with a glass bottle. One of the men searched the victim and took out a gun. 

The attackers allegedly ran away after being disturbed, towards the Company’s Garden, and the CCID guard pursued them. Officers patrolling spotted the chase. 

The two men were caught on the corner of Bree and Shortmarket streets with a North American Arms revolver and six rounds of ammunition. 

On the same day, in a separate incident, two men were arrested for robbery while mugging people on the Grand Parade.