Central Library has a number of upcoming events which are free to the public.
– The annual Library March takes place tomorrow, Friday March 15 at 09:30am. Each year, librarians and library lovers take to the streets of the Cape Town CBD to proclaim their love for libraries.
Meet at the Central Library Buitenkant Street parking lot. The route goes up Strand, into Long Street, then Wale Street and then back to the library via Darling Street.
– From Monday March 18 until Sunday March 24 is fine free week.
There will be no fines for books overdue which are returned during this period. Replacement cards are also free during this week.
– On Monday March 18, which marks the start of South African Library Week, local author and TV personality Fatima Sydow will talk about cooking and cookbooks from 1:30pm until 2:30pm.
From 3:30pm until 5:30pm, there will be a talk from author Emery Loukombo, discussing the African Youth Inventions book Misleading of the African mindset V 1 of 2, On Section 2: African Continent Battles.
The discussion will be around understanding of the question of the battle of Africa to develop a positive mindset.
– On Tuesday March 19, The African Chess Lounge will have a chess clinic for children at the children’s library from 3pm until 4pm. However, anyone who would like to learn is welcome to attend.
– On Wednesday March 20, local hip-hop artist Emile YX will present his youth outreach project, Heal the Hood at 2pm.
– On Friday March 22, disability empowerment organisation I Can! will talk about training opportunities they offer people with disabilities at 11am. At 2pm, there will be a children’s Scavenger Hunt and Fire Safety programme at the children’s library.