Body camera helps catch three murder suspects

CCID public safety officer Ivan Lakay’s body-worn camera footage led to the arrest of three murder suspects.

Footage from a camera worn by a Central City Improvement District (CCID) public safety officer led to the arrest of three men wanted for murder following the assault of a motorist in Buitenkant Street.

The incident took place last Tuesday, October 5, and the three men were arrested in Masiphumelele on Friday October 8, after the public safety officer recorded the assault and managed to get a clear shot of the vehicle’s registration number.

The victim later died of his injuries, and the three men were charged with murder.

According to the CCID, the men had sped off after a motor vehicle accident outside the Castle of Good Hope entrance, opposite the Grand Parade, but came to a stop at the nearby traffic intersection at Buitenkant and Darling streets.

The driver of the other vehicle gave chase on foot and then stood in front of the vehicle to prevent the three men from driving off.

Mr Lakay, who was patrolling nearby, immediately rushed to the scene, switched on his body-worn camera and called for back-up when the three men got out of their car, and started looking for implements with which to assault the other driver.

One of the men allegedly retrieved a wheel spanner from the boot, while another allegedly retrieved a large knife from a knife kit.

Mr Lakay tried to intervene, but the altercation became heated, and resulted in the driver of the other vehicle being stabbed in the shoulder, after which the three men fled the scene in their car.

CCID safety and security manager, Muneeb Hendricks, said Mr Lakay called for medical assistance and the victim – the other driver – was assisted at the scene and taken to hospital, where he died as a result of his injuries the next day.

Mr Hendricks said Mr Lakay had noted the make, model and the registration number of the suspects’ vehicle and with the clear visual and audio camera footage of the incident, the suspects were identified.

Cape Town Central police spokesperson, Captain Ezra October, confirmed the incident. He said the camera footage assisted the in investigation, and helped the police with vital evidence they needed to catch the three men who assaulted the driver.

He said the instrument used in the assault was stuck in the victim’s shoulder, and he died due to his injuries.

He said due to the clear footage and evidence, the police were able to track the vehicle and the suspects to Masiphumelele, where they were arrested.

“The suspects appeared in court on Monday and remain in custody. They will have to be identified by witnesses in an identity parade – the men were not even wearing masks during the alleged attack,” he said.

All items that can be seen on the footage, including the knife set, the wheel spanner, clothing worn by the suspects and the car involved in the accident were held by the police.

Mr Hendricks commended the police as well as Mr Lakay for their work.

“All of our 300 public safety officers, who are on patrol in the CBD in shifts 24/7, are equipped with body-worn cameras and this technology is invaluable in fighting and preventing crime in the city centre.”